One of the first things you need to do before you get any sort of window cleaning job done is to count your windows. In fact, this is probably the first thing you should do in general, even before getting a quote from your favorite window cleaning company.
There are a number of things to get done before your window cleaning company even steps foot in front of your home or building, from counting the windows in order to get a more accurate quote, to figuring out when you need them to be cleaned by. Another thing to consider is if you want your windows to be cleaned both inside and outside, as this could alter the quote.
Our Tips on How to Count Windows
Not all windows are created equal, and many different window companies also have varied ways to count and quote the windows they will be cleaning.
A windowpane is essentially a piece of glass (or, the window) surrounded by a frame. Most basic windows have at least one or two panes, although there are exceptions, which we will be explaining as we dive into each window type.
Most basic types of windows will count as one, regardless of whether they have more than one pane or not. For unique types of windows there can be an additional fee. Let’s look at each one a bit closer.
Basic Window Types
Double-hung and single-hung windows are the most common kinds of windows and are very easy to identify. Double-hung windows have two sashes that slide vertically up and down; these allow for both fresh air ventilation and ease of cleaning.
On the other hand, a single-hung window has only one sash that slides up and down while the other remains stationary.
Sliding windows, a fixture of modern architecture, come in several varieties. A sliding window has two sections, one which slides over the other, but how do you count how many sliding windows you have?
This can be easily done by counting how many sections have different openers: each section with one opener is classified as its own sliding window. So, if you have two sections with openers on both sides, it should be counted as two windows.
Unique Window Types
Bow windows, picture windows, skylights, French doors and other window types all have varying measurements. Requesting your personalized quote will help you know how these types of windows factor into your overall window count.
Step-by-Step Guide for Counting
1. Make sure you have a good view of the windows. This may seem like a no-brainer, but if you’re in a hurry or there are obstructions in the way, it can be tough to get an accurate count.
2. Start at one end of your house, or a specific room, and work your way around. This will help ensure that you don’t miss any windows.
3. If you’re not certain if the window counts as one, two, or more, such as a unique window type like a French door, make sure to take note of this.
4. Write down how many you count as you go, so you don’t forget or give your window cleaning company an inaccurate number.
5. Take your time and be thorough. Window counting can seem tedious, but it’s important to do it correctly in order to get the most accurate quote possible.
Why ASF Clean Team for Your Window Cleaning Job in San Francisco
Thanks to the use of superior cleaning solutions and state-of-the-art tools, ASF Clean Team is your ticket to the cleanest windows around. Contact us today for the best window cleaning in your area. We can give you an accurate quote based on your window types and quantity. Trust ASF Clean Team for all of your exterior and interior window cleaning needs.